Earlier in the week we discussed policies and procedures that should be in place to deal with end of year employee departures. Companies should also consider a number of other HR related issues as the year draws to a close. Here are my thoughts:
- Evaluation of all employment policies, including the employee handbook;
- A review of all federal and state law changes that may impact employment practices – talk to your lawyer;
- A review of all employment contracts;
- A review of all employment files – are they up to snuff?; and
- An evaluation as to whether the company should adopt post-employment covenants including non-competes, non-solicitations, and garden leave policies.
Now is the time to make any necessary changes before the New Year begins. Let me know if you have any additions to the list.